Chuyển đến nội dung chính

Shackled by Angela Carling





Shackled  
by Angela Carling

Paperback, 204 pages
Published June 1st 2012 by acacia publishing


After shy, quiet Lucy and her family move from their small hometown in Minnesota to Seattle, Washington, she is surprised when Ryan, the most popular boy at school, asks her out. Soon, she is swept up in a whirlwind romance and her naive and trusting nature allows her to fall head over heels in love with her too-good-to-be-true suitor.
Suddenly, Lucy finds herself enraptured by the excitement of her new relationship, leaving her blinded to the warning signs of danger ahead. Can her fairy tale romance last, or will she find that her prince charming is more like a wolf in  sheep's clothing.

As many of you know, Contemporaries are not something I tend to venture into when it comes to reviewing. However when Angela inquired about me reviewing shackled, and shared information about Respect month, I felt like this was something bigger than just me not liking many contemporaries. 

I am so glad that I did not pass on reading this one. 

Shackled had me duped. Of course, I had read the description, so really.. I should have expected it. But it sucked me in and had me wishing for this couple to work... oh how I take that back. 

Shackled is a wonderful example of how things are not always as they appear. Honest and heartbreaking, Shackled shows how easy it is to let someone control you.. and still believe it's ok. 

I found myself really relating to Lucy and her quiet innocent nature.... so it was easy for me to fall for Ryan. However, unlike Lucy.. I caught on to the warning signs of things NOT being like a fairy tale. 

I got .. enraged. I cried. I shook my head at her stupidity. And imagined myself slapping Ryan and his Dad right in the face. Shackled latched onto my emotions and didn't let go. 

At times.. some of the things that happened felt unbelievable. But then I really thought about it.. and realized just how easy it is for some people to accept these things as just.. part of your life. Shackled is REAL. It's happening everywhere.. and that made my heart break even more as I read this book. 

- Time for some delving into my personal life and being honest: 

I didn't expect for Shackled to effect me as much as it did. But it really made me sit and think. And I realized there were some parts in my own relationship that were .. not OK. ( i'm fine guys- nothing as bad as Lucy ) But it caused me to pause.. and talk. And cry. and start to realize that some things in my life need to change. 

So not only am I HIGHLY recommending this book. I would like to thank Angela Carling for giving me the opportunity to read it, share it with the world, and for making me take a good look at my own relationship and see the cracks. 

Even if you don't think you will personally relate to the story- sometimes that can be hard to take. Shackled shows you warning signs - hidden between the pages of a amazing story- that may allow you to help someone else. 


Here are my thoughts on Goodreads directly after finishing: 




 

Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

The Omen of Stones Cover Reveal with Casey L Bond.

Title: The Omen of Stones Author: Casey L. Bond Genre: YA Fantasy Editor: Stacy Sanford/ The Girl with the Red Pen Cover Designer: Melissa Stevens/ The Illustrated Author Design Services Publication Date: March 13 th , 2020 Hosted by: Lady Amber’s PR Blurb: Spirit and Stone. Song and Sky. Fate and Future all align. On my seventeenth birthday, I finally heard Fate’s voice. He whispered to me again and again, insisting I find the Omen of Stones. Having never heard of such lore, I thought I could ignore his pleas. The Summer Solstice proved otherwise. Being surrounded by fellow witches worked my magic up into a powerful swell that crashed and churned within me. As the energy crackled through my veins, I shunned my royal duties to follow the call of my heart. Venturing beyond the safety of the Kingdom’s borders, I felt Fate nudging me toward a destiny I was eager to claim. Confidence in my craft blinded me from the ominous clouds of danger that roiled on the horizon. Captured by purists de...

SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET by Courtney Giardina Release Week Blitz

I am so excited that SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET by Courtney Giardina is available now and that I get to share the news! If you haven’t yet heard about this wonderful book by Author Courtney Giardina, be sure to check out all the details below. This blitz also includes a giveaway for a $25 Starbucks Gift Card and signed finished copies of SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET AND BEHIND THE STRINGS, courtesy of Courtney and Rockstar Book Tours. So if you’d like a chance to win, enter in the Rafflecopter at the bottom of this post. About The Book: Title: SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET (Behind the Strings Book 2) Author: Courtney Giardina Pub. Date: February 4, 2020 Publisher: Courtney Giardina Formats: Paperback, eBook Pages: 135 Find it:  Goodreads ,  Amazon , Kindle When Celia Westbrooke was forced to face her past in the heart of Music City, she didn’t expect to find Jesse Rockford tangled up in the middle of it. Jesse’s blue eyes swept her into a ...

Hellion by Shannon McKenna blitz with Xpresso Book Tours.

Hellion Shannon McKenna (The Hellbound Brotherhood, #1) Publication date: February 7th 2020 Genres: Adult, Romance, Thriller Find out why New York Times bestseller Maya Banks hails McKenna’s books as “A nonstop thrill ride…” He’s a ticking bomb… Eric Trask is counting the days before he blasts out of Shaw’s Crossing forever. He and his brothers were raised at GodsAcre, a mysterious doomsday cult deep in the mountains, and are the only survivors of the deadly fire that destroyed it. The townspeople see them as time bombs just waiting to blow, but Eric’s going to prove those bastards wrong. He’s an ex-Marine, fresh off a tour in Afghanistan, working three jobs and barely sleeping. Utterly unprepared for Demi Vaughan’s dazzling green eyes, lush pink lips and sexy curves. She’s the town princess…he’s a dangerous outcast. It was a sure recipe for disaster. But the closer he gets to Demi, the more impossible it is to resist… Forbidden fruit is the sweetest… Demi Vaughan has big plans for lif...