Chuyển đến nội dung chính

The Program by Suzanne Young ( Mini Review )


The Program by Suzanne Young

Source: Gifted from a friend
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release date: April 30th 2013
Series: The Program #1
Edition: Ebook, 416 pgs
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction/Dystopia
Rating: 4/5


Description from Goodreads:

In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.

Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.


The Program is considered a dystopian, but reads like a contemporary.. a really... REALLY messed up contemporary. I was so sucked into this story that I got genuinely depressed at times. Some may not see that as a positive in a review, but when it comes to this story it is. Suzzanne Young created a story so rich with emotion... I wondered if I myself needed " The Program" Of course after finishing  the story, I wouldn't wish the program on anyone. 

I found myself so engrossed in the story, I didn't look up from the pages till I was halfway through. This is NOT something to read when you are already feeling down. It made me FEEL the feels in a way that not many books can. Tears were shed. By the end of the story though I felt more... empowered? Sloane is a strong character. She may have appeared a bit weak in the beginning. But she FIGHTS. 

I wish I had written my thoughts down as soon as I finished this book. Sadly I finished it late in the night, and grabbed another book the next day. But I never stopped thinking about it. This story made me so emotional. It was sad, raw, heartbreaking, but at the same time.. uplifting, cute at times, and empowering. 

Overall I just have to say I highly recommend this story to readers who like to feel the emotion the characters are feeling. The ones who don't always need a happy ending.

Rating: 4/5


Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

The Omen of Stones Cover Reveal with Casey L Bond.

Title: The Omen of Stones Author: Casey L. Bond Genre: YA Fantasy Editor: Stacy Sanford/ The Girl with the Red Pen Cover Designer: Melissa Stevens/ The Illustrated Author Design Services Publication Date: March 13 th , 2020 Hosted by: Lady Amber’s PR Blurb: Spirit and Stone. Song and Sky. Fate and Future all align. On my seventeenth birthday, I finally heard Fate’s voice. He whispered to me again and again, insisting I find the Omen of Stones. Having never heard of such lore, I thought I could ignore his pleas. The Summer Solstice proved otherwise. Being surrounded by fellow witches worked my magic up into a powerful swell that crashed and churned within me. As the energy crackled through my veins, I shunned my royal duties to follow the call of my heart. Venturing beyond the safety of the Kingdom’s borders, I felt Fate nudging me toward a destiny I was eager to claim. Confidence in my craft blinded me from the ominous clouds of danger that roiled on the horizon. Captured by purists de...

SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET by Courtney Giardina Release Week Blitz

I am so excited that SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET by Courtney Giardina is available now and that I get to share the news! If you haven’t yet heard about this wonderful book by Author Courtney Giardina, be sure to check out all the details below. This blitz also includes a giveaway for a $25 Starbucks Gift Card and signed finished copies of SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET AND BEHIND THE STRINGS, courtesy of Courtney and Rockstar Book Tours. So if you’d like a chance to win, enter in the Rafflecopter at the bottom of this post. About The Book: Title: SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET (Behind the Strings Book 2) Author: Courtney Giardina Pub. Date: February 4, 2020 Publisher: Courtney Giardina Formats: Paperback, eBook Pages: 135 Find it:  Goodreads ,  Amazon , Kindle When Celia Westbrooke was forced to face her past in the heart of Music City, she didn’t expect to find Jesse Rockford tangled up in the middle of it. Jesse’s blue eyes swept her into a ...

Hellion by Shannon McKenna blitz with Xpresso Book Tours.

Hellion Shannon McKenna (The Hellbound Brotherhood, #1) Publication date: February 7th 2020 Genres: Adult, Romance, Thriller Find out why New York Times bestseller Maya Banks hails McKenna’s books as “A nonstop thrill ride…” He’s a ticking bomb… Eric Trask is counting the days before he blasts out of Shaw’s Crossing forever. He and his brothers were raised at GodsAcre, a mysterious doomsday cult deep in the mountains, and are the only survivors of the deadly fire that destroyed it. The townspeople see them as time bombs just waiting to blow, but Eric’s going to prove those bastards wrong. He’s an ex-Marine, fresh off a tour in Afghanistan, working three jobs and barely sleeping. Utterly unprepared for Demi Vaughan’s dazzling green eyes, lush pink lips and sexy curves. She’s the town princess…he’s a dangerous outcast. It was a sure recipe for disaster. But the closer he gets to Demi, the more impossible it is to resist… Forbidden fruit is the sweetest… Demi Vaughan has big plans for lif...