Chuyển đến nội dung chính

Vampire Academy ( #1 ) by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Source: Borrowed from Library
Publisher: Razorbill
Release date: August 16th 2007
Series: Vampire academy #1
Edition: Paperback, 332 pgs
Genre: Young Adult/ Fantasy/ Paranormal
Purchase:  Amazon / Barnes and Noble* We receive a small kickback from amazon purchases, all funds will go towards future giveaways!

St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.


I really wanted to LOVE this book. Seriously, It has had such wonderful reviews and has been recommended to me many times over. But for me, it was only OK.

There was a lot to the story so much in fact I found myself pausing at times, thinking back to definitions of certain things, the differences between the Moroi, Dhampir's and the Stigoli. Of course there is nothing wrong with a book that makes you think. This story was definitely not the "fluff" that you might come to expect from many of the YA Vampire themed books. In that aspect it was a win for me. It had a slight high fantasy feel to it, teetering on the edge of YA and adult fantasy.

However SOMETHING, was just.... missing for me. I can't put my finger on it. I finished it, I loved many aspects.. and most of the characters were great! - Though I have to say.. Rose and Lissa were very back and forth for me, loved em, then they annoyed me, then back to love. Rose had a very big personality, very outspoken. But when it came down to actually fighting, which is supposedly going to be her job.. she keeps falling short. I kept pulling out of the story, setting it aside and coming back to it later. Lissa in the beginning is very sweet and fun to learn about, when the magic starts to take her over.. meh.. It was very hard to remember that I liked her.

So this is my dilemma, I liked it, but nothing stood out, yet at the same time, I can't find specific things to pick on ! I am going to pick up book #2 and see where the story goes. I am hoping Rose can start kicking some ass and that Lissa becomes more likeable for me.

Do I recommend this book? Yes and no. You may be one of those who love it..or you could be like me and it may fall just shy. I got my copy from the library.. oh such a wonderful source! So if you are thinking about giving it a shot.. but just are not sure try that, or borrow from a friend :)

* Update* A friend of mine is SO CERTAIN that I will enjoy the series if I power through, that she gifted me the entire series! That's a pretty amazing way to recommend a series so I guess I better step up and read the rest!

Rating: 3/5
** Additional update ** Apparently I'm behind in the times, forgot there was a movie coming out as well! So I REALLY better get on reading the series before it's out! 


Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

The Omen of Stones Cover Reveal with Casey L Bond.

Title: The Omen of Stones Author: Casey L. Bond Genre: YA Fantasy Editor: Stacy Sanford/ The Girl with the Red Pen Cover Designer: Melissa Stevens/ The Illustrated Author Design Services Publication Date: March 13 th , 2020 Hosted by: Lady Amber’s PR Blurb: Spirit and Stone. Song and Sky. Fate and Future all align. On my seventeenth birthday, I finally heard Fate’s voice. He whispered to me again and again, insisting I find the Omen of Stones. Having never heard of such lore, I thought I could ignore his pleas. The Summer Solstice proved otherwise. Being surrounded by fellow witches worked my magic up into a powerful swell that crashed and churned within me. As the energy crackled through my veins, I shunned my royal duties to follow the call of my heart. Venturing beyond the safety of the Kingdom’s borders, I felt Fate nudging me toward a destiny I was eager to claim. Confidence in my craft blinded me from the ominous clouds of danger that roiled on the horizon. Captured by purists de...

SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET by Courtney Giardina Release Week Blitz

I am so excited that SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET by Courtney Giardina is available now and that I get to share the news! If you haven’t yet heard about this wonderful book by Author Courtney Giardina, be sure to check out all the details below. This blitz also includes a giveaway for a $25 Starbucks Gift Card and signed finished copies of SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET AND BEHIND THE STRINGS, courtesy of Courtney and Rockstar Book Tours. So if you’d like a chance to win, enter in the Rafflecopter at the bottom of this post. About The Book: Title: SLOW DANCING ON MAIN STREET (Behind the Strings Book 2) Author: Courtney Giardina Pub. Date: February 4, 2020 Publisher: Courtney Giardina Formats: Paperback, eBook Pages: 135 Find it:  Goodreads ,  Amazon , Kindle When Celia Westbrooke was forced to face her past in the heart of Music City, she didn’t expect to find Jesse Rockford tangled up in the middle of it. Jesse’s blue eyes swept her into a ...

Hellion by Shannon McKenna blitz with Xpresso Book Tours.

Hellion Shannon McKenna (The Hellbound Brotherhood, #1) Publication date: February 7th 2020 Genres: Adult, Romance, Thriller Find out why New York Times bestseller Maya Banks hails McKenna’s books as “A nonstop thrill ride…” He’s a ticking bomb… Eric Trask is counting the days before he blasts out of Shaw’s Crossing forever. He and his brothers were raised at GodsAcre, a mysterious doomsday cult deep in the mountains, and are the only survivors of the deadly fire that destroyed it. The townspeople see them as time bombs just waiting to blow, but Eric’s going to prove those bastards wrong. He’s an ex-Marine, fresh off a tour in Afghanistan, working three jobs and barely sleeping. Utterly unprepared for Demi Vaughan’s dazzling green eyes, lush pink lips and sexy curves. She’s the town princess…he’s a dangerous outcast. It was a sure recipe for disaster. But the closer he gets to Demi, the more impossible it is to resist… Forbidden fruit is the sweetest… Demi Vaughan has big plans for lif...